Gentle Spirit Horses Rescue and Borderlands Horse Sanctuary to attend MN Unwanted Horse Summit
Kathi Ring and Tiffany Ring of Gentle Spirit Horses Rescue & Sanctuary, along with Shanna Border of Borderlands Horse Sanctuary and volunteer Carla Polkowski will be attending the University of Minnesota's Unwanted Horse Summit this Saturday, March 8, 2014. Our rescues work closely together and are looking forward to attending this Summit, which promises to not only be informative but also gives us the chance to network and discuss the real issues facing horses and rescues in the Midwest today.
About the Summit
In 2012, the University of Minnesota was awarded a grant from Morris Animal Foundation to investigate the reasons, costs and solutions for unwanted horses in the upper Midwest and Texas. Results from the research, and additional solutions to the unwanted horse issue identified by cooperating organizations, will be discussed at the Unwanted Horse Summit on March 8, 2014, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the University of Minnesota Leatherdale Equine Center in St. Paul, MN.
Speakers and topics at the Unwanted Horse Summit include:
- Julie Wilson, DVM, MN Board of Veterinary Medicine - Investigating the Unwanted Horse Problem in MN, WI, and TX
- Dennis Sigler, PhD, Texas A & M - Horse Prices and Seller Reasons from Sale Barns in MN, WI, and TX
- Becky Bott, PhD, South Dakota State University - Working with Under-served Equines in South Dakota
- Julie Wilson, DVM, MN Board of Veterinary Medicine - International Efforts in Horse Welfare
- Jennifer Williams, PhD, Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - Best Practices for Equine Rescues
- Tracy Turner, DVM, Anoka Equine - MN Horse Council, American Horse Council and American Association of Equine Practitioners Efforts to Improve Horse Welfare
- Katy Bloomquist, Esq., Bloomquist Law Firm - Engaging Law Enforcement in Horse Welfare Cases
- Barb Colombo, Esq., Hamline University School of Law - Minnesota Horse Welfare Coalition: Gains and Growing Pains
- Stacy Bettison, Esq., Bettison Consulting LLC. - Media Relations: Pitfalls and Opportunities
A number of organizations involved with addressing the unwanted horse problems will also be in attendance, including the Animal Humane Society, Equine Law Committee of the Minnesota State Bar Association Animal Law Section, Minnesota Hooved Animal Rescue Foundation, Minnesota Horse Council, Minnesota Horse Welfare Coalition, Refuge Farms, Student Chapter of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, Sundown Horse Shelter, This Old Horse, and Truhaven Ranch.